Final Preparation Tips for the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival
Sunday 18 September 2016
If you’re one of more than 34,000 people signed up to take part in the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival, we’ve got some tips to help you have a fun and safe day on Sunday 18 September.
Vlad Shatrov, Blackmores Sydney Running Festival Official trainer and Runlab founder says to get the most out of your event it’s a good idea to do some planning ahead.
“The Blackmores Sydney Running Festival is a spectacular event which gives everyone a chance to take in the sights of Sydney and enjoy the thrill of crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge on foot,” said Vlad. “To get the most out of your day spend some time planning in the week prior and you will find the day highly enjoyable.” Tips from Vlad include:
• Check your start time and plan how you are going to get to event start. Your entry price includes free travel to and from the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival by public transport. Give yourself one less thing to do on event morning and plan how you are going to get to there and what time you need to leave. Remember the Sydney Harbour Bridge and CBD roads will be closed to traffic from 4:00am until 1:30pm. www.livetraffic.com has all the up to date information on road closures.
• Drop a bag at the ASICS Event Expo including a change of clothes, a light weight jacket and some snacks to refuel post event (preferably not fruit). Post-event your bag will be ready for you as soon as you need it at the baggage collection point in the Royal Botanic Gardens.
• Delicious recovery breakfasts can be ordered online at www.sydneyrunningfestival.com.au. They will be ready for you at the EAT ME stand in the Blackmores Recovery Village.
• Read the course notes so you are familiar with the route of the event you are taking part in. Plan what time you want to complete it in, work out your pace and stick to your plan on the day.
• On event morning start hydrating as soon as you wake up with water and some electrolyte. Continue to hydrate during your run – there are water stations at the Blackmores Sydney Marathon, Blackmores Half Marathon and Blackmores Bridge Run and the finish of the Blackmores Family Fun Run – please use them.
• Remember to slip, slop, slap – sun safety is important for everyone, especially those in the longer events.
• Get to the Start Area (Bradfield Park, Milsons Point) at least one hour before the start of your race. This will allow you time to use the facilities, become familiar with the start area and do a 5-10minute warm-up run gradually increasing your speed.
• Wear an old jumper or jacket to the start. When you are warm enough, leave it at the start and volunteers will collect it. All clothes left at the start will be donated to charity.
• If you feel the slightest bit dehydrated, dizzy, or unwell during the event – do not push through, this is not the Olympic Games it’s a fun run – stop, drink, find first aid help.
• Remember to have fun and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. If you have a question on the day, ask one of the volunteers – they’re there to make your day enjoyable.
• If you're meeting family or friends at the finish, arrange a meeting point in the Blackmores Recovery Village.
The Blackmores Sydney Running Festival is proudly supported by The NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW. For last minute entries enter now at: www.sydneyrunningfestival.com.au